Monday, February 2, 2009

Super

Super is a word that doesn't seemed to be overly used in our society, but rather conveniently used in places that make sense. When I was in grade school, I would often (yes, often) received Super stickers on my assignments letting me know that I did a good job. At about the same time in my life I was playing Super Mario Brothers on the Super Nintendo. Sometimes places of business use the term Superstore to showcase that the store is bigger and better (i.e. Super Wal-Mart). Super glue is used because that Elmer's stuff just doesn't work on bobblehead dolls. McDonalds famously introduced us to Supersize - which also introduced a lot of people to obesity. The Super 8 motel....well, we'll forgive them for that one because there isn't anything super about that place.

Of course the most well known use of the word super is the Super Bowl. It's the biggest sporting event of the year - one in which advertisers will pay $3 million for a 30-second commercial. It's supposed to be the best of the best - and for the last two years, it hasn't let us down. I remember a lot of things about Super Bowls, but the last two had a little something extra 'super' about them. We witnessed two super catches.

Last year was this catch by David Tyree:

And for those of you who didn't get to witness the dramatic finish to this year's game, here is the catch that can only be described as 'super'

Not everything in this world can be super and not everybody in this world is super, but when you witness something super firsthand, you don't often forget it.

No comments: